July 8, 2009

Ice Cream and Sangria - Charlottesville, VA

July 3 - 5, 2009

We spent 4th of July weekend with the alliterative Jing and Jeff in Charlottesville. Guess what we did?

a) spent an afternoon at Monticello
b) went for a hike to see the tallest waterfall east of the Mississippi
c) went vineyard hopping in wine country
d) relaxed poolside
e) all of the above
f) none of the above (this is the correct answer)

What's that phrase about good intentions? I'm not sure, but whatever it is, it probably applies here.

And even though we didn't visit Monticello, I can tell you that Thomas Jefferson is responsible for bringing french fries to the United States. Apparently, people had only eaten potatoes boiled before this because they thought they were poisonous otherwise. I can also tell you that John Adams thought Thomas Jefferson was being pretentious by serving those new-fangled french fries. I learned this from listening to public radio. I'm sure we would have heard all this on the Monticello tour as well.

Anyway. So what DID we do this weekend?

We drank.

Giant glass of homemade sangria

We ate.

Jing and I with our Friendly's ice cream - I got ALL of the cherries

We hid behind fire hydrants.

Yes, this is a normal-sized fire hydrant.
Yes, Jing and I are just that small.

No, I'm not sure why we did this either.


The four of us (Jing, Jeff, Kevin and I, in case you forgot) also played a LOT of games of spades. If you don't know what spades is, I like to think of it as bridge for dummies. The only reason this analogy doesn't work is because I know nothing about bridge except that Warren Buffet is good at it and it involves bidding and partners. Which is also true of spades.

We also played a bunch of Mario Kart on the Wii. I don't have much to say about that except DARN YOU DRY BONES!! HOW DOES YOUR KART GO SO FAST?

We also played a lot of Cranium and Taboo. I won't say who won the games, but I will say their team name rhymes with "the curls" and not "the toys." And that the team is pictured above hiding behind a normal-sized but giant-looking fire hydrant.

Speaking of rhymes, we're going to go ahead and give Steve the point for the last puzzle. He got the first one ("Farmer Charmer") and the last one ("Blazer Appraiser") right, and I was going for "Best Dressed" as the answer to "The Superlative Look" and "Mentor Center" for "A Place Where Advisers Gather." But his answers of "Supreme Beam" and "Board Ward" work, even though they weren't what I had thought of originally.

Aaaaand this is why I don't write the puzzles.
________________________________________________

Picture of the day: I believe that Kevin's gesture can most accurately be described as "okie dokie."


1 comment:

  1. AHHHHHHH I'm so JEALOUS. I wish I could hang out with you guys. And play spades! Do you know how hard it is to find a fourth person here in the entire city of Taipei?

    ReplyDelete