June 28, 2009

Loose Ends

I have to admit that I don't really understand the phrase "to tie up loose ends." Why do they have to be tied? I also don't understand the expression "to have your cake and eat it too." Because of COURSE you have to have the cake before you can actually eat it. The phrase makes no sense. What it really should be is "to eat your cake and have it too."


Well, we definitely ate it. And yes, there is another "Joe" in the group. He is a man. Which is why there is the "Girl Jo" distinction. Everyone in my group at work has a cool nickname, but I somehow got "Girl Jo." It was either that or "Banjo," (you know, to distinguish me from "Man Joe") so I guess I have no right to complain. Anyway, my group got me a cake AND made me cupcakes for my last day of work. You can't see it in the picture very well, but the top of the cake is an icing picture of North and South America and around the sides are the names of some of the countries we're visiting.

...

These past few weeks have been full of lasts: last day of work, last trip to REI, last meal at Mac's, last disc golf outing with Charlie...


The hardest part about leaving Charlotte is definitely leaving Charlie. I know I'll be able to keep in touch with everyone else, but it's pretty difficult to get Charlie to talk on the phone. For some reason, she just doesn't get the concept of a conversation. But then again, Charlie's idea of fun is sniffing her own butt. Let's just be clear that I love her despite this habit, not because of it. And even though it'll be really difficult to leave Charlie - I mean Charlotte, it also means that we're just getting that much closer to leaving for our trip.

We're going to DC on Tuesday to get a couple of visas, and so we had to take visa pictures this past week. One of the absurd things about taking passport/visa photos is that you're not allowed to smile. Apparently, they want "a neutral expression." The thought of not smiling for the pictures was so hilarious to me (I don't know why) that I really struggled not to laugh while taking them. I guess Kevin didn't think it very funny, because he gave me a disapproving look and was quite stern about the whole thing. And then he ended up looking like a convicted felon in his visa pictures. The moral of this story is that you should not give disapproving glances to your fiancée or you'll end up looking like a convicted felon.

...

In other travel-related news, we've pretty much decided to shell out the extra (and unbudgeted) money for a netbook. We haven't decided on one yet, but battery life and hard drive size are going to be the most important factors, so the Samsung N120 and the Asus Eee PC 1000HE are both frontrunners. We're going to hold off on actually buying one until later this summer, so if you have any advice on buying a netbook, let us know.

...

In other non-travel-related news, I'm sure you all know about the currrent Jon and Kate situation. I can't talk about it. It's just too hard.

Also, I was listening to the radio on Friday, and the station I was listening to was doing a tribute to MJ by playing one of his songs at the top of every hour. So the voice guy comes on and says in that deep radio voice, "Michael Jackson expired June 25th, 2009. RIP." MICHAEL JACKSON DID NOT EXPIRE. HE WAS NOT A CARTON OF MILK.

...

We're going to do something different today with Puzzles for Postcards, but it's just a one-off thing and only because Kevin is busy driving back to Indianapolis this weekend. Kevin usually writes the puzzles, and I just don't have the same panache when it comes to VQs. Mine are always too easy.
________________________________________________

Puzzles for Postcards (list of winners):

Rhyme Time (solve all four):
(Example: the answer to "A Fruit Carving of a Serengeti Grazer" would be "antelope cantaloupe.")

One Who Enchants Corn Growers
The Superlative Look
A Place Where Groups of Teachers Gather
One Who Values Jackets for a Living
________________________________________________

Scrabble Games: 55 (full log)
Zhou WPLB: 28; 367; 315; SENIlES
Kevin WPLB: 27; 368; 397; sETTINGS

3 comments:

  1. My mom just got the Eee PC netbook and LOVES it. It's a pretty sweet deal and the best thing about it is the near instant start-up time (only about 10 seconds from when you press on till you're surfing the web). The worst thing is it doesn't have Word (it has MS Works instead). Anyhoo, I'm glad y'all are moving on from Charlotte (you lasted longer than me :) and I can't wait to see y'all soon!

    I don't have the time to attempt your puzzle at the moment, I'm in Zion NP;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something like this? I've got multiples for some, but its probably even something else

    Farmer Charmer
    The peak peek
    Faculty Facility, Panel channel
    Cover Lover, Slicker Stickler

    ReplyDelete
  3. And by the way, I kind of like "Banjo" as a nickname, its cute and fits very well compared to man Joe.

    ReplyDelete